Home Forums Family History Mary THORNTON born 30 Oct 1805, Almondbury Reply To: Mary THORNTON born 30 Oct 1805, Almondbury

Margaret Ralph
Participant

Hi Jennifer, I have just seen your post. Mary Thornton who married Jonathan Crosland was as daughter of William Thornton and Betty (Elizabeth) Tyne, She was born on 20 April 1802 in Huddersfield and married Jonathan Crosland on 21 Octover 1824 in St Peters Parish churhc in Huddersfield. They had six children, Tyne, Louisa, William Thornton, Walter John, Henry and Clara Ellen. The family can be found in Lockwood in 1841 census, John died in 1843 and is buried in Paddock, All Saints. Mary died on 6th Jan 1871 and was buried in Paddock, All Saints aged 68.
Her father was a William Thornton was a cloth dresser, living in Paddock. He was born 1776 and married Betty Tyne on 25 Oct 1801 in St Peters Huddersfield. (it is noted on the register that he was from Lindley and married by licence not banns.) Mary was their first child and her birth was regisitered in the Lockwood, Baptist Chapel.
My interest in this family stems from my great aunt’s marriage to a Joseph Tyne Thornton ( a descendant of a brother to the above Mary Thornton) and my maiden name is also Crosland. I am still trying to find the conncection with the Croslands of Crosland Hall and my branch of the family from Lindley,
Hope this helps you – If you want any further information. please ask.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Margaret Ralph.