Home Forums Family History Employment record – biscuit factory 1949-1951

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 5 days ago by janet LeBillon.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      leob
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to find records of my grandfather’s employment history for the period 1949-1951. I’ve been told he worked night shifts at a biscuit factory, and as he lived in Huddersfield I think it was probably the Fox’s biscuit factory in Batley (on the basis I can’t find records of any other biscuit factories in the area at the time, though I realise I may be wrong about this – any other suggestions very welcome).

Does anyone have any ideas of where I could look for records of employment for that time, or any other ways I could get this evidence (should I ask the Society Research Team)? I’ve contacted Fox’s from their main email address, though haven’t heard back yet.

Thanks so much!

Leo

janet LeBillon

Fox’s biscuit factory does seem the most likely unless there is a trade directory available at the library covering the years 49-51 which would list any other biscuit firm.
      I had considered checking the telephone directory ( Bradford – covered Huddersfield and Halifax) but unfortunately both trade and residential phone numbers appear together. About 1500 pages of them for 1950.

leob
      Participant

Thanks for the fast reply Janet!

Sounds like my best route at the moment is the company archives for Fox’s biscuit factory in Batley. Does anyone have an idea where they would be kept, ie which office I should ask for if I call up the reception desk at that factory?

Thanks,
      Leo

janet LeBillon

Much as it may seem a simple task to retrieve information from companies, before the days of computers, I would think the chances of finding information very slim. This is the sort of thing that may be covered in a local newspaper something on the lines of ‘ did you work in the local biscuit factory in 1950. The Examiner for example has often had a story of interest asking for local information, which in turn generates lots of memories from various reader and becomes a point of interest. But by all means contact Fox’s and I hope for a positive outcome.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.