Home Forums Surname Help Joseph Brook (1786-1857) of Hill Upperthong above Holmfirth

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Jayne Hutchinson.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jayne Hutchinson
      Participant

Hello,
      I’m looking for information about Joseph Brook (1786-1857) who was a Woollen cloth finisher at the hamlet of Hill in Upperthong above Holmfirth.
      He married Maria Hoyle at All Hallows Almondbury in 1808 and one of their witnesses was a David Brook; however I can’t work out how David was related to him.
      Baptism and/or other records indicate they had at least 4 children. Both Joseph and Maria were mentioned as parents in the baptisms of 3 of the children, though I’m unsure why there is a big gap between them:
      Hannah Brook (bap1809)
      Sarah (abt1811-1848)
      Jane (bap1822)
      William (bap1829)
      I’m descended from their daughter Sarah who in 1837 married George Shirt, a farmer from Cawthorne, whilst both were residing at Upperthong.
      1841 and 1851 censuses have Joseph and Maria Brook listed in accommodation next to Joshua Hoyle and his brother Jonas at Hill.
      A 1847 tithe map shows Joseph Brook, Jonathan Hoyle and Joshua Hoyle occupied 3 houses, warehouse, outbuilding and yard at Hill owned by Sarah Woodhead.
      The Hoyle brothers of Hill (Joshua, Jonathan, John and Jonas) are mentioned in the notebook of ‘Reminiscences’ of George Sykes (born in 1838 in Woodale) and I assume these are brothers of Maria who married Joseph Brook.
      Joseph Brook from Hill Upperthong was buried 12 Jun 1857 at St Johns Upperthong when he was 71. John Brook was present at his death, though I don’t know how they are related. It is possible they were brothers, as I have found baptisms for both a John Brook (1784) and a Joseph Brook (1786) whose father was recorded as Jonathan Brook of Hill.
      I’ve not been able to tie my Joseph Brook of Hill to the Brook families mentioned in Wool and Worsit e.g John, James, Joshua and Jonathan Brook of Choppards Mill, or Jonas Brook and Brothers of Meltham. Also I’ve not been able to tie my Joseph Brook of Hill to the Brooke Pedigree in the green folder at H&DFHS.
      I’d be grateful if anyone has any more information about Joseph Brook (1786-1857) of Hill and his family.
      Thank you
      Jayne H528

janet LeBillon

Hello Jayne

I’m just having a browse and I have found you another child of Joseph Brook in the marriages. As an aside I have a family from Cartworth who have 3 baptisms missing after 1814 then continue ten years later.I’m still convinced there are some records missing.

John Brook of full age of Hill Upperthong son of Joseph Brook
      Catherine Green aged 20 of Holmfirth
      Married at Holmfirth Nov 3rd 1840.

Civil registration started on 1 July 1837 and the intervening years between this date and the 1841 census tends to get overlooked.

Janet

Jayne Hutchinson
      Participant

Hello Janet, thank you very much for finding that information about his marriage.
      Last month when we visited the area, we found him too and his wife Catherine in St John’s grave yard on the same grave stone as his parents Joseph and Maria. Sorry I should have updated this message for that! This led me to find a 7 Apr 1816 baptism for him to parents Joseph and Maria Brook. Not sure why I couldn’t find this earlier.
      Thanks again
      Jayne

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.