Home Forums Local History Junction Inn, Cartworth

• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by christine.a.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      christine.a

The Inn and 3 adjacent cottages appear on the 1861 census and I have located them on an old map at the junction of Flight Hill, Bare Bones Road and Snittlegate. They were owned by one of my ancestors, Anthony Hirst of Hepshaw, who died in 1858 and left these properties to one of his sons. They are referred to as being at Cartworth, which of course is often interchanged with Hepworth. Does anyone know any history of this location or when the Inn ceased to be?

Jackie12
      Participant

I don’t know anything myself but have you come across the website Huddersfield Exposed, it has a wealth of info on the Huddersfield area
      https://huddersfield.exposed/wiki/Welcome

christine.a

Thanks – yes I have seen the HE site and there is some mention of the Inn, but no reference to when it ceased to be a public house and became residential. I was up there recently and the inn itself is a private residence and the three adjoining cottages have been combined to make a second private home. I have found the inn on the 1891 census still in business. Several of the successive landlords were also working in the local quarries (probably Magnum). Interestingly the Junction Inn was struck by lightning in 1849 whilst my 3 x Gt G/F was owner. I hope he was insured and passed them to his son in good repair! If it was my 2 x Gt G/F who sold the properties he did not pass the money down the line to me.
      Appreciate you taking the time to respond – this forum is soooo quiet.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by christine.a.
      Jackie12
      Participant

there’s an account in the Huddersfield Daily Examiner 19 March 1892 about rent owed and the tenant refusing to move out …. I just put Junction Inn Cartworth into a Findmypast newspaper search
      Hepworth gave a mention Eckington, Woodhouse and Staveley Express 24 September 1921 but I don’t know if it’s what you are looking for
      sorry not much help

christine.a

There were a lot of pubs in such rural area in the 19th century – I believe they eventually lost their licences at renewal times because the authorities throught there were too many to be supported by local populations. Perhaps the Junction was one such victim – maybe when quarrying at Magnum petered out. I am just curious as to which of my ancestors might have been the owner when the pub closed and a closure date would help to pin whoever it was down. Or maybe the Hirst family sold out while it was still a going concern. I am always curious about such things which are not particulalrly important. Thanks for the FMP info. I don’t currently subscribe to the site but can access it at my library so will take a look. The publican in 1891 was John Mellor (also a quarryman) – in 1901 he is at Snowgatehead so if he was the rent defaulter it does appear he moved on – or was moved.
      Every little helps in this game until we have enough pieces to complete a jigsaw. Thanks.

John1
      Participant

Up to 1954/6, Ordnance Survey maps show the name as Junction Inn. Later maps (the next was 1964) show it as Junction House.
      Assuming O.S. were using up to date information, it would appear the Inn closed sometime between those dates.

John1
      Participant

Up to 1954, Ordnance Survey maps show the name as Junction Inn. Later maps (the next was 1964) show it as Junction House.
      This suggests it became a private residence sometime between those dates; although It may have remained as a disused pub for some time prior to then.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      John1
      Participant

Apologies for the double post. I cannot find any way to delete the first one.

christine.a

Better a repeated answer than none at all! You can edit your own posts, so maybe there is an option to delete in there somewhere.

More useful information – thanks. I did not think to look at more recent OS maps. 1954 is in my lifetime, shame there is no-one left of the previous generation of my family who might have known something about the inn. Hoping I can find it on the 1921 cenus. I suppose I ought to search the 1939 register for the address. So many things to do – so little time!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.