Home Forums Family History Tamar ELLIS

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave
      Participant

I though t it might be useful, and possibly helpful, if I included in what follows the ID Number in Family Search of each name I use. All of my stuff is in Family Search.

My interest in the Ellis family, who are scattered throughout Holmfirth, Hepworth, Wooldale, Kirkburton and even parts of Barnsley, started with my paternal grandmother, Annie ELLIS (GBYN-DXP).

My present issue though is with Tamar ELLIS (LKDL-P7X). Tamar was born 16 1846 in Hepworth (GRO: September quarter 1846 Huddersfield 22 413), she was Christened in Holmfirth on 16 August 1846. Her parents were John ELLIS (9NW6-VKM) and Ann Beardsell (9NW6-VKS).

In 1865 Tamar married Edward Albert Mitchell (GHL4-QK1) GRO: March qrtr. 1865 Huddersfield 9a 310). The had three children, Emily (GHL4-DHV) in 1868; Sarah Ann (GHLW-B51) in 1868 and Fred (GHLW-8W5). On the 1871 Census Fred was shown as Zero age but I have not been able to establish his birth GRO as there at least three more FredMitchells around the same area.

In the 1881 Census Albert Edward and his three children had emigrated to Bradford where Albert re-married to Sophia in 1887 and the family spent the rest of their lives in Bradford.

As far as Tamar is concerned I have not been able to trace another marriage, death, or a Census reference since the entry on the 1871 Census.

If anyone has any ‘light’ to fill my darkness I would be over the proverbial moon. A suitable place to be for any Yorkshireman!

DAVE

janet LeBillon

Hello Dave

The registration for Fred Mitchell is 1870 Sep Qtr MMN Ellis Huddersfield on GRO
      The death of Tamar has been entered as Tamer Mitchell 1872 Dec aged 28 years old. Huddersfield on GRO

Hope that shines a bit of ‘light’

happy searching

Janet

Dave
      Participant

Hello Janet,

Very many thanks for your help and for your prompt response. I had tried both Tamar and Tamor but never considered Tamer. I’ve always had a problem with me vowels!!

As far as Fred Mitchell is concerned could I ask please, if you have it, for a little more information? I use Free BMD and I don’t know when they started to provide MMN’s but they were not doing so in September qrtr. 1870. This has then provided me with two Fred Mitchell entries, one following the other, and I have no way of telling which is mine.

DAVE

janet LeBillon

Hello Dave

The information is on GRO

By registering and going through the process of ordering a birth certificate it is possible to retrieve the information regarding the mother’s maiden name. Once obtained just log out without buying the certificate. This process is available so that wrong certificates are not ordered and is available from July 1837. Otherwise this information is only available on Freebmd during 1911 onwards.

John1
      Participant

No need to go through the charade of ordering a birth certificate. Just log on, click ‘Search the GRO Indexes’ and then ‘Birth’.

John.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.