Huddersfield, St Mark Baptisms 1887-1926
The former Church of St Mark, Old Leeds Road, Huddersfield, was an Anglican parish church in Huddersfield. It was previously known as St Mark’s, Leeds Road, before the road name was changed following redevelopment in the area.This church should not be confused with St. Mark the Evangelist, at Longwood, in Huddersfield Ancient Parish. The building was designed in 1886 by William Swinden Barber when the parish of St Peter’s, Huddersfield, was split and a new building was required to accommodate a growing congregation. It was opened in 1887. Among the vicars posted in this benefice were the very popular Canon Percy Holbrook, the notoriously unfortunate Reverend Jonas Pilling who was involved in a standoff with his congregation for many years, the sociable Reverend Robert Alfred Humble who died in mysterious circumstances and the eloquent preacher Reverend Joseph Miller, who had previously been a Congregational minister. The building was sold by the Church of England in 2001, and has since been converted into a block of offices.