Milnsbridge St Luke, Memorial Inscriptions
The information given in this booklet is intended, as far as can be determined,
to be a transcription of the gravestone inscriptions in the churchyard. The information in this booklet was originally transcribed onto index cards by members of the National
Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders (NACRO), probably
during the 1990s.
Includes Graveyard Plan and Full Index
The graveyard is now more overgrown than when the original transcriptions
were taken and not all the gravestones are readily visible.
The church building and much of the surrounding grounds are now privately owned as a
storage building and not accessible. There are no grave stones in this area as these were
removed by the Diocese in the 1970s. However the owner has kindly provided
photographs of the memorials which remain within the church and transcriptions of these
memorials are included as graves 901 to 907 in this booklet. Many of these memorials
refer to the Armitage family who lived in Milnsbridge House from 1820 to 1875.
The remaining part of the cemetery, from where the Memorial Inscriptions are taken, is still
open (in 2016) and is under the management of the PCC of Christ Church, Linthwaite.